The Art of Sewing by Hand
Slow down, we move too fast! Take a break from sewing everything quickly by machine and create a beautiful work of art, all sewn by hand. Crazy Quilting, Hand-Appliqué, English Paper-Piecing, Sashiko, Redwork, etc are all works of art sewn by hand. This will be an opportunity to get together with others who like to “slow down” and enjoy the process of sewing by hand!
Join us once a month, to improve on your skills if you are already hooked on hand work or form a solid basis if you are a beginner. Work on your projects or start new ones. Get inspiration from others!
- Appliqué – A beginner will learn the basic needle-turn stitch, how to make beautiful bias stems, and the secrets for stitching the “tricky places”, such as inside angles, curves, circles and point.
- Crazy Quilting – Learn a variety of creative stitches and embellishment techniques for each seam of your crazy quilt block. The fascination and intrigue of crazy quilting is the freedom it offers…anything goes. There are no rules! It is the ultimate form of artistic expression with fabrics, threads, ribbons, beads, charms, etc. It is left to the imagination of the quilter.
You will be delighted to have a project that is portable and that gives such satisfaction as it appears before your eyes.
- Instructor: Helen Gosselin
- Skill level – Beginner/Intermediate
- One 3 hour session, $25
- Saturday, March 18, 9:30 – 12:30 pm
- Saturday, April 15, 9:30 – 12:30 pm
- Saturday, May 20, 9:30 – 12:30 pm
- Saturday, June 17, 9:30 – 12:30 pm
Psst…the teacher is not here!
When our classroom is not in use, it will be available for independent sewing. Come by yourself or get together with some of your friends to sew in our classroom for a few hours or even for the entire day! This is a great opportunity to work on your UFQs (Un Finished Quilts) or PhDs (Projects Half Done), start a new project, lay out a quilt or two, or just hang with the gang. Space is limited to 11 attendees, so registering is a must.
- Fee – two options available
- Open to all who register – fee is $10.00 per session / per person
- Rent the room for the day with your friends for $80.00 (this would be a closed session)
- Call Linda for available dates (978-346-9292 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
Special OPPs (Only Paper-Piecing)
Working on a paper-piecing project? Not quite sure how to proceed?? Special OPPs is a technique class dedicated to those who want to paper-piece in a group setting. Ann Hockmeyer, who has extensive experience in all aspects of paper-piecing, will teach this class. Improve your confidence and skill with all methods of paper-piecing; including patterns from Carol Doak, Quiltworx by Judy Niemeyer, and Becolourful by Jacqueline de Jonge. Join us once a month to learn tips and tricks that will lead you to success with all things paper!
- Instructor: Ann Hockmeyer
- Skill level: Intermediate
- One 2½ hour session, $20
- Date and Time to be announced
- Please contact Linda for more information. (978-346-9292 or email@example.com)